PRESIDENT’S MESSAGE Mark Gurule’
Dear Fellow ICC Colorado Chapter Members:
It is an absolute honor and privilege to serve as your Chapter President for 2017. I would like to extend my gratitude to the Membership and the Election Committee that have placed their trust in me to lead this exceptional and professional organization.
Through my 16 plus years’ of involvement with the Colorado Chapter, I look back at the friends and relationships that I have established with my fellow Officers and Members. Over the years, I have volunteered for several committees, it all led here. The experience has been rewarding in so many ways both personally and professionally, I look forward to what 2017 brings. With the grace of God and the cooperation of fellow members, I will devote my time to the obligations and duties of this post.
There’s an old saying, “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much”. You need teamwork to accomplish success! The Chapter should be proud to have such a talented team of officers. Please allow me to introduce your Executive Officers that will help lead the Chapter this year.
- 1st Vice President Tom Pitchford
- 2nd Vice President Tim Swanson
- Secretary Hope Medina
- Treasurer Andy Blake
- Directors Scott Greer, Cornelia Orzescu, Dan Reardon,
- Michael Sizemore, Joseph Montoya
I would like to offer a special acknowledgement for our outgoing Chapter President Matt Archer. Thank you for your leadership and accomplishments in 2016.
I look forward to 2017 as it appears to be a very busy year for the Chapter; noting that without our volunteers this Colorado Chapter would be just another Chapter. They are the reasons why we have won multiple “Chapter of the Year” and “Educator of the Year” awards, with my deepest gratitude THANK YOU for volunteering and for applying your many talents. As Michael Jordan would say, “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships” and it is my belief we have a Championship Team!
Coming up is the 2017 Educational Institute, March 6-10 at the Marriott Denver Tech Center.
Chapter meetings for the 2017 year include:
- April 21, 2017 in Centennial which will include a joint meeting with ICC Region 11 and the induction of Officers;
- June 9, 2017 in Fort Lupton;
- August 24-25 Steamboat Springs;
- October 13, 2017 in Castle Rock; and
- December 14-15 in Colorado Springs for the Colorado Chapter’s ABM.
In 2016, we had a great conferences, banquets and educational classes, some of the best that I ever attended. We plan to keep the fire burning and bring you a great program for 2017.
In terms of priorities for this year, I offer the following:
- Increase member awareness of the entire Chapter has to offer; our team will create welcome packets and promote the benefits of being a Chapter member.
- The creation of a new Ad-Hoc committee called “Building Futures”. This team will encourage the recruitment of companies, industries, and jurisdictions interested in mentoring or creating internships for high school and college students. We are trying to be a facilitator and to create scholarships.
- Exceptional Commitment Award. This award may be presented from time to time to recognize a chapter member who has provided exceptional service. This award is subject to the judgment of the Awards Committee, and would be given to the selected person that has gone significantly above and beyond the service levels which a typical member is able to give. This award does not rise to the elite level and length service that is required for recipients of the Beryl Wallace or Sis Wallace award, but rather it is intended to provide recognition for exceptional service for a more recent period of time. We have talented volunteers who spend many hours and are dedicated to the Chapter that need to be recognized.
- Increase Chapter awareness at all levels. Our 2017 Region 11 President is our own Mike Methany. Our goal is to incorporate and support the Committee and to endorse Greg Wheeler for the ICC executive Board of Directors as this will build our alliance with ICC.
- And of course to maintain our budget. We have a lot of new things coming this year including a new website and a new Give-a-day program.
With these as my goals, and with your confidence, I appeal to all of you to help me achieve these goals. Your support for all the Colorado Chapter’s endeavors and activities will be your best contribution in making us the best Chapter.
Colorado Chapter members, thank you. As your team of officers, we will do our best to promote and act upon the interests of the Colorado Chapter of ICC at all times. May we in our own little way continue to be an inspiration to the Chapter and to the future generation of Code Officials.
With this, I would like to wish everyone a blessed, prosperous and a great year in the 2017 Session ahead. Thank you.
Incoming President 2017