Website City of Littleton
The City of Littleton is seeking a Plans Examiner. The Plans Examiner is responsible for the review of routine residential and commercial architectural and engineering plans and related documents to verify compliance with the International Codes and amendments adopted by the City of Littleton. This position reports to the Chief Building Official within the City of Littleton’s Building Division.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities, and one of Colorado’s top five places to Raise a Family. Home to a vibrant and historic downtown, and a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to our employees. For more information, please see the 2024 Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and creating career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton.
Starting pay range $35.77 – $39.53 per hour
This full-time position is non-exempt per FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation.
Work Schedule: This is a full-time position and has the option to work a hybrid schedule with some days teleworking and some days working in person at the office.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified or the position is filled, but preference will be given to complete applications received by January 25, 2024. Those who do not apply by this date may or may not be considered.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Reviews plans and specifications to verify compliance with the applicable building codes, building code amendments, and division policies.
- Coordinates plan reviews with other applicable City of Littleton departments/divisions and outside agencies having jurisdiction.
- Prepares reports and correspondence related to plans examination results and requirements of the adopted building codes, amendments, and Building Division policies.
- Assists in in solving issues related to building process and provides technical assistance to inspectors, permit technicians and customers.
- May assist at Permit Center answering phones, issuing permits and contractor licenses, and providing customer service through various activities.
- May perform building inspections, depending upon professional qualifications, current plan review and inspection workloads, physical abilities, and ability to operate a city vehicle. Such inspection work shall be conducted in accordance with the Building Inspector Series job description.
- Prepares letters to customers regarding plans examination results and model code requirements.
- Helps to develop materials to distribute to applicants to facilitate the building permit process.
- Assists with the coordinating the archival of building permit documents.
- Participates in the development, implementation, maintenance, measurement, and continual improvement of the organizations’, department’s, and division’s processes.
- Maintains a working knowledge of currently adopted building codes, applicable regulations, and industry best practices.
- Consistently demonstrates production and behavior in accordance with the City of Littleton’s core values: First-rate Service, Inclusion, Integrity, and Respect.
- Performs other similar assignments and projects as required.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker.
- High school diploma or equivalent; and
- Three (3) years of plans review experience in a Building Inspection Department; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Requires possession or the ability to acquire within the first six months of employment of the following current International Code Council certifications:
- I.C.C. (B3) Building Plans Examiner certification.
- I.C.C. (R3) Residential Plans Examiner certification.
- Requires a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check and motor vehicle records check.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to produce precise and accurate work.
- Strong special visualization skills (ability to view verbiage or two-dimensional figures and visualize them expanded into three or more dimensions).
- Effectively communicates technical requirements to non-subject matter experts.
- Appropriately balances the written code, the code’s intent, feasibility, quality, cost, and risk.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Advanced to expert knowledge of and the ability to read and interpret construction plans and blueprints; reads, understands, and effectively interprets building codes in order to determine compliance of proposed construction with the requirements of all applicable uniform model codes and the city codes.
- Advanced knowledge of all and maintains knowledge of updates to applicable building construction techniques and major types of construction.
- Requires advanced knowledge of Littleton City Code and all updates to state and national statutes and building codes related to design and construction.
- Advanced knowledge of principles of government regulation and the ability to read, interpret, apply, and communicate the requirements of selected provisions of the city code, model codes, and applicable regulations to perform the essential duties of the position.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- The majority of the assigned work is performed indoors in a standard office environment. Minimal work is performed outdoors and includes performing building inspections as required.
- Substantial time is spent viewing computer screens.
- Physical activities involve occasionally lifting, carrying, pushing, or pulling objects weighing up to 10 pounds with or without assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Littleton is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and intends to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and job applicants regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other non-job related characteristic, and to hire and retain the best-qualified individuals without regard to any of these factors. This prohibition includes unlawful harassment based on a protected class.
The City of Littleton will consider reasonable accommodations throughout the recruitment process and employment. Applicants and employees can request an accommodation by contacting Human Resources at 303-795-3857 or emailing [email protected].
Drug- and Alcohol-Free Workplace
The City of Littleton is committed to the health and safety of all its employees. To ensure a safe and productive work environment the city prohibits the use, sale, dispensation, manufacture, distribution or possession of alcohol, drugs, controlled substances or drug paraphernalia on any city premises or worksites. No employee shall report to work or be at work with alcohol or with any detectable amount of prohibited drugs in the employee’s system. A detectable amount refers to the standards generally used in workplace drug & alcohol testing. This prohibition specifically includes marijuana, and decriminalized psychedelics whether used for medical purposes or obtained legally under state law.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.