Website City of Littleton
The City of Littleton is looking for a dynamic and strategic Community Development Director to lead the department and serve as a member of the city’s executive leadership team.
The Community Development Director is responsible for leading, directing, and managing the department including its personnel, budget, and resources. In collaboration with all departments, the Director is responsible for thinking strategically, utilizing tools to guide department decisions, meeting best practices for development services, current and long range planning, building safety, permitting, inspections, city zoning, code compliance, historic preservation, and neighborhood services. Responsibilities include: developing and deploying a strong collaboration with economic development and public works; making recommendations to the Council and City Management; developing and implementing policy initiatives and process improvements; ensuring compliance with statutory responsibilities and directives; and, providing for a multi-jurisdictional, regional, collaborative approach.
The ideal candidate will be skilled and enthusiastic about taking the Community Development Department to the next level! Experienced leaders who are energetic and committed to strengthening the organization through service and collaborative teamwork will thrive. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker with development services experience and vision for the future in delivering extraordinary services to the public. Those with strong project management skills, high emotional intelligence, and someone who actively works with the executive team and city management to accomplish the Council’s goals and objectives is desired. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to make an impact on the community’s future for quality planning and development. The ideal candidate will have the ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships based on thoughtfulness, diplomacy, and leadership rather than authority; develop, implement, and direct a variety of concurrent planning, redevelopment, building, and development/housing improvement programs and projects. This leader will be a strong advocate for the department collectively, as well as caring for the health, success, and development of each team member individually. They will be skilled at active listening in order to gain understanding and demonstrate empathy.
The selected candidate will have a unique opportunity to lead the organization through a number of staff-led development services process improvement recommendations with a goal of becoming a high performing organization with a focus on people and process. In addition, this candidate will position the department as the city’s voice for citywide planning initiatives. This candidate will be decisive and have a record of success implementing changes. They will be an inclusive leader who is fully engaged themselves, readily accessible to the team, and capable of building a culture of belonging.
In addition, there is an immediate opportunity to refresh the Code Compliance program with a staff excited to embrace innovative and systematic methods to service that will support a consistent interpretation and application of the code.
Planning continues to update the 2021 Unified Land Use Code provisions on an annual basis. The selected candidate should be experienced in planning and other areas of community development with in-depth technical knowledge and expertise. They will have an opportunity to influence the code update process and provide recommendations to improve internal and external communication of adopted and proposed code changes. They will be effective at productively engaging staff and community members in this process.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities, and one of Colorado’s top five places to Raise a Family. Home to a vibrant and historic downtown, and a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to our employees. For more information, please see the 2024 Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market-competitive pay and creating career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton.
Starting pay range $144,000 – $176,000 per year
This full-time position is exempt per FLSA and is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified or the position is filled, but preference will be given to complete applications received by February 8, 2024. Those who do not apply by this date may or may not be considered.
For questions and additional information, please contact:
Noah Walters, [email protected]
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties listed below are intended only as general illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. Specific statements of duties not included does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Job descriptions are subject to change by the City as the needs of the City and requirements of the job change.
- Leads and directs activities of the Community Development Department by assigning and monitoring work activities within all functional areas, providing technical support and direction to staff, reviewing reports and other documents, interpreting policies and codes, preparing staff performance evaluations, and resolving internal concerns.
- Supervises staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained; ensuring that employees follow policies and procedures; maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; and making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Creates and maintains a culture of enhanced customer service for the development process by coordinating development processes and procedures, providing direction to staff on development issues, making changes to processes as needed, and resolving problems and concerns with customers.
- Performs oversight and key duties relative to short-term and long-term planning tasks, including but not limited to: site plan reviews, entitlement process reviews and duties, comprehensive plan updates, zoning ordinance updates, design guidelines development, etc. Responsible for the oversight of enforcement of the municipal codes relating to real property ownership and maintenance within the city’s corporate boundaries.
- Advises the City Manager and members of City Council and staff regarding proper land use planning and development.
- Prepares and administers annual department budget, forecasting revenues and expenditures, presenting proposals for approval, authorizing payments, monitors expenditures for recommended adjustments, and leads department strategic planning efforts.
- Serves as a representative of the department and attends and participates in meetings with other city employees, members of City Council, members of the Planning Commission and other boards, and commissions.
- Represents the city on various committees and boards dealing with community development, planning, and zoning. Promotes department communication by consulting with governmental officials about operations of the department and keeping the public informed through public appearances and special reports. Resolves complex and sensitive citizen complaints.
- Oversees and participates in the negotiations of comprehensive development agreements between the City and the private sector, evaluates fiscal impacts, communicates decisions, and presents reports and agreements to City Management and City Council.
- Leads staff duties for related Boards and Commissions; directs and/or prepares relevant materials for presentation to City Council, and Boards and Commissions.
- Provides information and recommendations to developers, engineers, architects and general public; prepares technical reports and makes oral presentations to professional groups on planning and development issues.
- Monitors legislation affecting City operations, interprets and administers codes, development agreements, general planning, municipal policies, and development procedures; revises, maintains, and manages development codes and land use policies to ensure healthy growth, responsible redevelopment, and most efficient use of land; prepares and/or recommends revisions of codes and ordinances.
- Provides advice in area of expertise to City officials, City Council, and management teams; gives related presentations; provides advanced administrative support to the Mayor, Council, and City Management in support of organizational goals and objectives.
- Cultivates inclusive and respectful working relationships that support a sense of belonging for all employees and community members.
- Coordinates the planning of and assists in the city’s participation in special community events and other activities, as assigned.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker.
- Performs other similar assignments and projects as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, community development, public or business management, public administration, or a closely related field; and
Seven (7) years of progressively responsible community development experience in local government or the private sector, which must include management and supervisory experience at a division or department head level; or
An equivalent combination of education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check and motor vehicle records check.
For questions and additional information, please contact:
Noah Walters, [email protected]
Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Littleton is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and intends to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and job applicants regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other non-job related characteristic, and to hire and retain the best-qualified individuals without regard to any of these factors. This prohibition includes unlawful harassment based on a protected class.
The City of Littleton will consider reasonable accommodations throughout the recruitment process and employment. Applicants and employees can request an accommodation by contacting Human Resources at 303-795-3857 or emailing [email protected].
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.