Website City of Aspen
Job Title: Deputy Chief Building Official
Department: Community Development
*Up to $3,000 Sign On Bonus May Be Available*
Enjoy Industry Leading Benefits:
Generous paid vacation and extended sick leave, holidays, and flexible work arrangements.
Free and discounted transportation options to get around Aspen and the Valley.
Professional development and learning opportunities, including a tuition reimbursement program.
Health and wellbeing options that include Medical, Dental, Vision, robust and accessible employee assistance program, and nationally recognized wellbeing platform.
Monetary bonuses for healthy lifestyle choices and to use towards other personal needs.
Plan for your future with competitive employer contributions to a 401a retirement plans and Social Security, in addition to an individual 457b retirement plan and Roth IRA option. Have peace of mind with life and disability insurance.
The City of Aspen is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Position Summary: Manages and supervises building department functions to verify and ensure compliance with applicable codes, consistent with the organization’s values and mission statement. Manages and supervises Plans Examiner/Inspectors and is responsible for permit process management in coordination with relevant departmental staff, referral agencies, and process stakeholders. Supports Chief Building Official in planning, organizing, and directing activities concerning compliance with building and safety ordinances within the City.
Supervision Exercised and Received: This position works under the direct supervision of the Chief Building Official. Exercises direct supervision over the Field Inspectors and Permit Coordinators.
Hiring Range: $97,552 – $109,740 annual
Salary Range: $97,552 – $146,328
Essential Job Functions:
• Supervises and manages assigned department staff. Hires, trains, evaluates performance, establishes performance goals, delegates tasks and authority, problem solves, coaches, mentors, counsels, and provides corrective action to employees as needed. Plans, coordinates, and schedules daily activities of assigned staff. Advises, assists, and directs staff to conduct assigned duties in a timely, consistent, and professional manner.
Technical Resources and Customer Service
• Maintains knowledge, researches, reads, interprets, communicates, and explains applicable codes, regulations, laws, principles, and ordinances to builders, contractors, design professionals, property owners, the public, and City staff.
• Greets visitors promptly upon their arrival in the area and determines the needs of the customer which includes provides information or referral as appropriate. Schedules courtesy appointments with citizens at their property concerning any code requirements or construction practices that pertain to property or projects.
Development Review and Permitting Process Management
• Serves as the Community Development Department expert on the development review and permitting process focused on a culture of continuous improvement. Works with relevant departmental staff to analyze and assess the effectiveness and efficiency of the process. Coordinates with Community Development and referral agency staff to develop process improvements to optimize the process. Directs relevant staff to implement change.
• Works closely with other City departments to assist, problem solve, and resolve issues. Issues permits, certificates of occupancy, and assists with general office duties.
• Assists with conducting building inspections of commercial, residential, and industrial construction sites which includes remodels to determine compliance with applicable International Code Conference (ICC) building codes. Provides the project representative with a written inspection report (acceptance or deficiency report) and a notice of any corrections necessary to ensure the construction is completed in accordance with applicable codes. Issues stop work orders on projects that require but lack a building permit.
• Operates the following equipment and machinery to conduct inspections: temperature sensor, carbon monoxide tester, tape measure, level, ladder, and assorted hand tools.
• Advises and seeks input from the Chief Building Official or Community Development Director as appropriate. Operates a City vehicle.
• Serves as a second line plans reviewer, managing and performing plan review of construction plans for compliance with applicable building codes and issues building permits. Coordinates activities and makes decisions as necessary. Completes the forms necessary for the issuance of the permits, reviews permit applications and associated documents, and prepares building permits with applicable fees. Prepares letters to customers regarding model code requirements and deficiencies of plans.
• Assists the Chief Building Official in the oversight and management of the department and performs Chief Building Official functions in their absence.
• Defines and refines departmental systems, policies, and procedures to ensure timely and professional plan review. Assists and makes recommendations to Chief Building Official to determine department priorities and establish work programs. Assists in fiscal analysis and development of annual budget. Estimates and reviews planned revenues and expenditures making recommendations as necessary.
Database and Reports
• Creates, maintains, and inputs data as needed in paper and electronic files related to plans examination function. Creates and maintains customer and building permit information in computer database.
City Organizational Values
• Supports and models the City of Aspen organizational values: Service, Partnership, Stewardship, and Innovation. Organizational values are shared principles that guide behavior across the organization. This position is responsible for upholding and applying these values while performing daily work functions.
Other duties as assigned.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com