Website San Miguel County, Colorado
San Miguel County – Building Department
Job Title: Building Official/Inspector
Job Type: Exempt; Full-Time (Monday – Friday, with some weekend work possible)
Compensation: Grade 45, Step 1 – Step 8 ($76,151.23 – $90,527.69 annually)
Closing Date: Open until filled
The San Miguel County Building Department is seeking a positive and knowledgeable individual to become our next Building Official/Inspector. This position supervises, manages, coordinates, and performs professional reviews, inspections and control duties to maintain the high standards of County building construction. This is a hands on position that will have the opportunity to shape the future of construction within San Miguel County.
This position manages, coordinates, and performs professional plan reviews and inspections and is also involved in building code reviews, updates, and code enforcement activities. The position reports directly to the County Manager. The County’s building environment is largely oriented to residential structures and includes a full spectrum of buildings from modest homes to large, complex, high-end residences. The ability to work effectively with all citizens, the building community, and other departments is critical to the success of this position.
Candidates will be expected to have: two to four years’ education from an accredited college or university in construction technology, civil engineering, architecture, or related field; three to five years of experience in professional building inspection or construction with at least two of those years in a supervisory or management capacity. Experience with large, high-end, complex residential structures and plan reviews is important. Also, highly desired is a working knowledge of electronic permit tracking systems or other data base management systems and familiarity with GIS. Finally, experience with energy efficiency and green building codes is a plus. Additional building management experience may be accepted in lieu of educational requirements.
While conducting inspections candidates must perform physical inspections requiring the full range of body movements in all types of weather conditions. Candidates are desired to possess an International Code Council (ICC) Building Inspector and Plan Examiner certifications and possess or be able to obtain a valid Colorado driver’s license. An ICC Mechanical Inspector license is also desired.
The next Building Official/Building Inspector must possess excellent communication skills, high integrity and a demonstrated track record of effective customer service and team building. The successful candidate will have strong supervisory skills as well as the ability to manage daily activities with minimum oversight from the County Manger. Annual starting salary range is $76,151.23 – $90,527.69 up to Grade 45, Step eight (8) dependent on knowledge, skills, experience and education and comes with an attractive benefits package including a program for down payment assistance for homes bought or built within San Miguel County.
Tasks, Duties and Responsibilities Include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Coordinates and communicates with County staff, other departments, contractors and the public on potential and current projects.
· Plans, prioritizes, assigns, supervises, and reviews the work of staff responsible for performing building and coordinates inspection activities with other County departments.
· Conducts building inspections; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to develop work plans and identifies and corrects deficiencies.
· Recommends and assists in the implementation of the department’s goals, objectives, policies, and procedures; establishes schedules and methods for providing building and zoning inspections and regulations.
· Participates in the preparation and administration of the building department budget; submits budget recommendations; monitors expenditures.
· Inspects industrial, commercial, and complex residential buildings during various stages of construction and remodeling to ensure compliance with applicable codes and regulations of County, State, and Federal agencies, with assistance as needed from Colorado Code Consulting.
· Reviews and approves applications and plans submitted for building permits; ensures conformance to applicable zoning, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and other regulations of County, State, and Federal agencies; issues work permits.
· Oversees the adoption process of new building/safety & energy codes and promotes existing Green Building codes in the County.
· Coordinates inspection activities with other County (and Town when applicable) departments and divisions; conducts joint inspections with other County departments; performs zoning inspections.
· Confers with architects, contractors, and builders – explaining and interpreting requirements and restrictions – and the general public in the field and office; responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquires and complaints.
· Prepares, compiles, and maintains records and reports of activities performed; attends and conducts classes/seminars in areas related to community development and construction.
· Enforces local zoning regulations.
· Selects, supervises, trains and evaluates assigned staff.
· Detects building hazards or violations, enforce regulations and recommends corrective actions.
· Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
· Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in professional-level building inspection or construction.
· Two (2) to five (5) years of previous supervisory experience.
· Equivalent experience may be considered in lieu of these requirements.
· Ability to read, interpret, understand and apply building code regulations.
· Ability to establish and reinforce positive working relationships while simultaneously maintaining confidentiality.
· Working interdepartmentally with other County office and departments.
· Excellent communication skills, both verbal and in writing.
· Excellent research and analytical skills.
· Ability to use computer technology and highly specialized software programs.
· Ability to deliver effective results in a fast paced environment and adhering to
· Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, duties and responsibilities simultaneously.
· Strong problem solving skills.
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
DESIRED EDUCATION, LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS
· Two (2) to four (4) years of education from an accredited college or university in construction technology, architecture, civil engineering or a related field.
· Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s License.
· Building Inspector Certification and Plans Examiner Certification from the International Code Council, preferred.
· A Mechanical Inspector certification from the International Code Council is also desired.
· Qualified candidates possessing an equivalent combination of knowledge, skills and experience will also be considered.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES & SUPPORT
Please review the complete job description and brochure and submit an official application for the position by visiting https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/jobs.aspx. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately. Candidates are required to complete the online application and attach a resume and cover letter. Please ensure all requested items are submitted and complete for consideration.
San Miguel County is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
To apply for this job please visit www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov.