Website City of Littleton, Colorado
Title: Building Inspector (I, II, or III)
The City of Littleton is looking for a knowledgeable Building Inspector to join our talented team in providing outstanding customer service, working with contractors and the public, and ensuring code compliance for commercial, residential, and industrial structures throughout our community.
The ideal candidate enjoys working outside the office and has work experience in building or construction inspection. The ideal candidate also enjoys working with people and can explain building or construction related terminology and code compliance issues in a way that helps people understand and move forward with their projects efficiently.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to our employees. For more information, please see our Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton
Appointments may be made at the Building Inspector I, II, or III level depending on qualifications, department needs, and budget availability. Levels are distinguished by additional experience and certifications obtained (see Minimum Qualifications below).
Starting pay for Building Inspector I at or near $29.25 per hour
Starting pay for Building Inspector II at or near $33.98 per hour
Starting pay for Building Inspector III at or near $38.08 per hour
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Operates a City vehicle and conducts daily building inspections at construction sites.
· Provides the builder or contractor representative with a written inspection report (acceptance or deficiency report) and a notice of any corrections necessary and re-inspects construction per appropriate model codes. Performs field inspections and plan reviews on all permitted projects and verifies that the project is constructed as per the approved plans and conforms to the model building codes.
· Prepares records of inspection requests and fills out reports for field inspectors. Inputs inspection information into computer.
· Prepares a daily work schedule and maintains a daily inspection log of activities and enters inspection activities into computer records.
· Issues stop work orders on projects that require but lack a building permit and tracks orders after issuance.
· Reviews construction plans for compliance with applicable building codes and may assist with issuance of building permits, as required.
· Answers questions by telephone and in person regarding the technical requirements of the appropriate model codes from builders, contractors, subcontractors, individual homeowners, and other customers.
· Assists customers and visitors at the service counter that include builders, contractors, subcontractors, homeowners, general public, and City staff members.
· Explains laws, ordinances, and adopted codes to builders, contractors, design professionals, property owners, and the general public and members of City staff.
· Communicates with angry and/or uncooperative citizens and contractors and works with builders and the public to resolve problems and de-escalate appropriately.
· Prepares letters to customers regarding model code requirements and inspection results.
· Schedules courtesy appointments with citizens at their property concerning any code requirements or construction practices that pertain to property or projects.
· Coordinates work with other departments that include engineering, planning, zoning, landscaping, fire, business and industry, police, and streets.
· May serve as an Emergency Worker and may also respond to after-hour structure-related requests from the Littleton Police Department or South Metro Fire Rescue.
· Performs similar duties and projects as required.
To view the full posting with minimum qualifications, and submit your application, visit:
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.