Website City of Boulder
The City of Boulder requires all employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
The City of Boulder is a great place to live, work, grow and play.
With over 300 miles of dedicated bikeways and more than 150 miles of hiking trails, Boulder values active lifestyles and access to nature. Forty-six thousand acres of protected land provide open space for passive recreation, natural environments, and a green belt around the city. With world class restaurants and art and music venues, The City of Boulder values diverse culture.
Respect is one of our five City Values (including Customer Service, Collaboration, Integrity, and Innovation) and we are committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We celebrate and support our differences across all spectrums, including but not limited to ethnicity, gender, age, disability, and sexuality. Through our focus on Racial Equity, our employee benefits, and the many programs resources we offer our staff, we continually strive to weave respect for one another into the fabric of our organization.
Add your voice and talents to the City of Boulder and help us grow in service excellence for an inspired future.
Do you have experience in building, electrical (Colorado Journeyman or Master Electrician License holders will receive special consideration), plumbing, or mechanical contracting, construction management, or jurisdictional work? If so, the City of Boulder’s Planning and Development Services is looking for you! We offer paid training and a pay increase for each of the four ICC Commercial Combination Inspector Certifications held or obtained within one year of hire.
The starting pay for this position is $30.61 – $37.42 hourly, commensurate with experience.
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Planning and Development Services (P&DS/Building Safety)
About Planning and Development Services (P&DS):
In alignment with City of Boulder values, Planning and Development Services (P&DS) ensures timely review and delivery of development applications, and building permits and inspections through project completion, and continuously
evaluates and improves service delivery and processes related to inspections, plan review, and customer support. We collaborate with our community and colleagues to create a sustainable, resilient, equitable and inclusive city, worthy of its setting, where we can all thrive together.
OVERALL JOB OBJECTIVE:
Under minimal supervision, performs combination inspections for projects within the scope of the International Building Codes for the construction, alteration and/or repair of buildings and other structures to ensure compliance with adopted construction codes and ordinances, zoning regulations and project specifications and performs related duties as required. Performs plan reviews related to specific area of expertise if applicable.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Enforces the City’s adopted construction codes including, but not limited to building, plumbing, mechanical, energy and electrical. This includes the following:
Inspects all aspects and phases of building construction including structural, mechanical, electrical, energy and plumbing to ensure compliance with code and ordinance provisions and approved construction documents and site plans.
Reviews for compliance and subsequent approval, those portions of submitted permit applications and construction documents relating to his/her specific area of expertise for conformity with City-adopted construction codes.
Notifies permit applicants, contractors, and homeowners of code and ordinance violations relating to plan review and construction activities. Re-reviews plans and re-inspects construction work to ensure violations have been rectified.
May suggest approved methods/materials and/or actions necessary to bring plans and/or construction into compliance with City-adopted codes and ordinances.
2. Maintains effective and diplomatic relations with property owners, contractors, and designers. Provides information and responds to questions and complaints as necessary.
3. Reviews and approves construction drawings and specifications for compliance with the building codes, and amendments to the Boulder Revised Code.
4. Maintains logs and records of inspections and plan reviews performed.
5. Assists inspection and code review staff in day-to-day inspection scheduling and resolution of building code issues.
6. Testifies in court cases involving violations of City-adopted construction codes.
7. Recommends appropriate revisions to City-adopted construction codes.
8. May conduct instructional classes on City-adopted construction codes.
9. Performs related duties as required by management to meet the needs of the City.
10. Takes proper safety precautions to prevent accidents; responsible for the safety of self, the public, materials, and equipment. Uses all required safety equipment and follows all safety regulations, policies and procedures. Reports all accidents and damage to City property.
11. Follows the “Rules of Engagement” for building inspectors and works in harmony with the goals, objectives and mission statement for the Planning and Development Services department
12. Responsible for knowing and complying with all City and department policies; participating in professional trainings and development; and adhering to attendance and workplace attire policies.
Generally, duties and responsibilities are listed from most to least critical or time consuming.
CITY VISION AND VALUES:
The City of Boulder is committed to service excellence for an inspired future and the following values:
· Customer service – We are dedicated to exceeding the expectations of our community and our co-workers by demonstrating consistent and professional service with a solution-oriented approach
· Respect – We champion diversity and welcome individual perspectives, backgrounds and opinions. We are open-minded and treat all individuals with respect and dignity.
· Integrity – We are stewards of the public’s trust and are committed to service that is transparent and consistent with city regulations and policies. We are honorable, follow through on our commitments and accept responsibility.
· Collaboration – We are committed to organizational success and celebrate our shared dedication to public service. We believe community collaboration and the sum of our individual contributions leads to great results.
· Innovation – We promote a forward-thinking environment that supports creativity, calculated risks and continuous improvement. We embrace change and learn from others in order to deliver leading edge service.
(1) TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Building Inspection Supervisor/Assistant Building Official
(2) TITLE(S) OF POSITION(S) OVER WHICH THIS POSITION HAS DIRECT SUPERVISION: None
Current ICC Commercial Combination Inspection Certification (or obtain within one year of hire).
Current Colorado State Journeyman’s license or above
Current ICC Commercial Electrical Inspector Certification (or obtain within one year of hire).
Current Colorado State Journeyman’s License or above
Current ICC Commercial Plumbing Inspector Certification (or obtain within one year of hire).
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
High school diploma or equivalent
Significant experience in building inspection, code enforcement, or building construction
A minimum of five years’ experience in either structural building, electrical, plumbing, or mechanical contracting work, or any equivalent combination of education and/or experience which may include jurisdictional building inspection or construction management experience
Thorough knowledge of currently adopted building codes
Ability to use tact and discretion when interacting with the public in difficult situations
Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Effective verbal and written communication skills
Valid driver’s license
Have and maintain an acceptable motor vehicle record and criminal history
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS – In addition to the required minimum qualifications:
Colorado Journeyman or Master Electrician License holders will receive special consideration (with or without other certifications or licenses)
Current ICC Commercial Combination Inspector Certification
Associates Degree in Construction Technology or related field
Experience using computer word processing, spreadsheet, and database software
Physical Demands: Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities that permits the employee to communicate effectively on the telephone and in person. Sufficient vision or other powers of observation that permits the employee to review, evaluate and prepare a variety of written documents and materials. Sufficient manual dexterity that permits the employee to operate computer equipment and other office equipment. Requires occasional lifting, carrying, walking, standing, and kneeling. Ability to perform a range of manual tasks in a construction environment such as climbing stairs or ladders, visually observing work performed, and wearing appropriate safety equipment such as boots, hard hats, and safety glasses. Regularly driving and visiting construction sites to perform building inspections. Ability to work under stress from demanding deadlines, public contact, and changing priorities and conditions.
Work Environment: Includes a construction environment. Works settings subject to continuous interruptions and background noises.
Machines and equipment used include, but are not limited to the following: City vehicles, small manual tools, measuring devices, electrical testers, personal computers, telephones, calculators and copy/fax machines.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Note: The above description is illustrative only. It is not meant to be all-inclusive. This job posting is “continuous” or “open until filled” and will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
The City of Boulder provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
To apply for this job please visit bouldercolorado.gov.